Saturday, February 11, 2012

No stirrups = death

Onward onto post #2!

I think I'm doing pretty snazzy at keeping things updated! Lets see how long I can go, haha.

Ontop of taking a 30 day workout challenge (oh Jillian Michaels how I dislike you and your planks..) I decided to up the ante on my own riding.

COTH (Chronicle Of The Horse) had a challenge to its members for the month of February to ride without stirrups. I was a little late to that challenge, and with an upcoming show (next saturday!) and then reading week, I felt like I would just be cheating that challenge. So instead, March will be my challenge month. No stirrups for the entire month of march!
Perhaps I've gone crazy, I don't know. But it'll be interesting for sure.

I've started a little early this month with that challenge, removing my stirrups tonight for my ride. It was a pretty uneventful ride but it's definately more of a workout without stirrups. We did some simple walk/trot/canter with some circles, over a few trot poles as well as canter poles. Worked on a few lead changes and that was about as exciting as it got.

Perhaps I'll try a no-stirrup lesson soon. Not this week as I do need to practise for the show, but possibly after reading week. A week without riding.. TRAGIC.
However, I will be 6 hours away at home and with my super awesome stoner-eyed pooch named Maddie. So definately not a loss.

I don't have any horsey pictures from tonight so instead.. here's a picture of my "heart dog"!


Gosh.. she's just like a pretty little butterfly.
I kid. She's neither photogenic nor will ever win any beauty contests.. but she's a damn good dog!

1 comment:

  1. I absolutely always and totally and completely hated riding without stirrups. So of course I was taught to do a lot of it. Bugger. It does do incredible things for your ability to ride, and it gives you upper thighs of steel, a nice side benefit. First time I did it, I was clutching so hard with my knees that I came home to find huge bruises on them, so here's a hint: DON'T USE YOUR KNEES!!! (lol)

    ReplyDelete